TXT: Teens Exploring Technology
TXT: Teens Exploring Technology is a nationally recognized non-profit organization focused on inspiring young men of color to become confident leaders who use technology as a tool to improve marginalized communities. Our interdisciplinary curriculum develops leadership, entrepreneurship, design and coding skills among underrepresented teens: 1) A Summer Coding Leadership Academy at USC, 2) SEALS program focused on developing and nurturing TXTers into full stack developers 3) “The Cube”, a “hacker” space for kids to work collaborative on creative ideas, design thinking, and new apps, a safe haven open until 7pm.
2018 James Irvine Leadership Award
Breaking Socioeconomic Codes
South by South Lawn Recognition
Business Development (BDO)
BDO is responsible for bringing in new revenue for TXT and cultivating relationships with tech businesses in the Los Angeles area to create job placement opportunities for TXT interns. BDO has excellent people skills, is a team player, and is highly organized. BDO maintains professionalism, diplomacy, sensitivity, and tact while representing TXT. BDO is also passionate about improving the lives of young men of color in marginalized communities. The individual will be in charge of getting www.txtlabs.io of the ground.
- Identifies and prioritizes new business revenue opportunities and develops a strategy for closing new business accounts.
- Researching, preparing for, and attending critical conferences, meetings, and industry events.
- Support & build strong relationships with current and potential corporate partners, for sustainable future internship opportunities for TXTers.
- Develop new partnerships with Mid-large size entities who can potential become TXT clients.
- Identifies new market trends in tech development and STEM market.
- Leverages TXT consultants and employee networks into new relationships.
- Partners with subject matter experts and Client Development Directors on pitch material, proposals, meeting agendas and follow-up.
- Develop and nurture networks to build and maintain a pipeline of prospects and revenue.
- Develop and organize new business development initiatives.
- Create new opportunities to create new streams of income for TXT.
- Consistently achieve or exceed business development targets.
- Utilizes/creates existing sales and marketing collateral to prepare for new business presentations.
- Manages a pipeline and adjusts daily activity to meet forecasted target numbers.
- Brings in at least $100,000 in revenue the first year of operation.
- Utilizes Spreadsheets to track and report activities and pipeline.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in finance, sales, marketing, communications, or similar area required. Advanced degree beneficial, but not required.
- Fast Learner;
- 2-3 years’ experience in business development preferred, specifically with cultivating new professional relationships.
- 2-3 years of relevant sales experience is also sufficient.
- Self-starter with ability to initiate prospecting activities, calls, and face to face meetings.
- Able to work in a tech startup environment.
- Must be ok with Ambiguity.
- Ability to work under pressure during peak seasons of activity, and work quickly but effectively by prioritizing tasks.
The Candidate will need a background check, have a car and CA driver’s license, and be willing to work Saturdays; this is a full-time position. Compensation based on experience. Email resume and cover letter to Oscar Menjivar at email@example.com, title the subject “Business Development Officer” Your cover letter should address the following question: What are your professional goals and how do you seek self-improvement to accomplish those goals?