Become a TXT fellow
To apply please send your resume as a pdf to email@example.com
TXT: Teens Exploring Technology
TXT: Teens Exploring Technology is an award winning, nationally recognized technology based start‐up non - profit organization that focuses on inspiring at‐risk teens, grades 9 th - 11 th to become confident leaders using technology as a tool to improve marginalized communities. Our focus is to develop young men of color into tech leaders through skills in leadership, ent repreneurship, UX design and code. During the summer, we partner with the University of Southern California (USC) to immerse the youth into our lean start - up Summer Coding Leadership Academy (SCLA). Teens develop a tech business that focus on solving a soc ial problem in underrepresented communities during SCLA. The White House, City of Los Angeles, Google, Mashable, Re/code, and Inc. Magazine have recognized TXT as an innovative organization.
The Fellows are a vital element to the success of our Summer Coding Leadership Academy. As a fellow you will inspire the next generation of tech entrepreneurs to develop solutions for social problems in low - -income communities. You will assist in teaching teens coding, design thinking and the l ean start‐‐up methodology. You will have the opportunity to manage a teen tech‐start up and help your team pitch in front of top investors, including A16Z partners. All fellows will have the opportunity to learn from top entrepreneurs, investors, and tech mentors. However, our best fellows will be selected to visit companies such as Google, Tinder, Snapchat, and other top start - -ups in California. We are looking for self - motivated individuals who are willing to learn in a fast paced environment. Bottom line , we need hustlers, quick learners with the eagerness to change the world. Fellows must have a passion for mentoring high school students and positively impacting their lives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain trusting relationships with all TXT participants
- Coach, mentor and manage a team of 3-5 youth
- Assist teams setting and meeting app development goals
- Assist in creating presentations in core SCLA topics (i.e. code, startups, UX design or other)
- Inspire, motivate and coordinate TXT’ers (youth) at workshops and events
- Connect and build relationships with gurus from top tech startups
- Build an innovative tech community and bond among youth
- Work in multiple teams and take on tasks as needed
- Respond effectively to the daily problems that arise, often with creative solutions
- Mentor a student a minimum of 25 hours a week.
- No experience is required, but the ability to learn fast is a must
- Second and Third Year University students preferred, others are welcome
- Interest in business, entrepreneurship, and or coding/computer science
- Excellent organization skills and a self-starter who likes being in entrepreneurial settings
- Interested in coding, innovation and making with technology
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills and high emotional intelligence
- Deadline to apply is April 12th, 2020. Fellows are selected on a rolling basis. 30 fellows will be selected for the Summer of 2020.
Candidate will need a background check and be willing to work Saturdays. Email cover letter and resume to Roberto Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org and title the subject “SCLA Fellow”. In your cover letter, please address the following question: What inspires you and why? What makes you an ideal candidate to impact the lives of teens from South Central Los Angeles?